Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lesson 12, Advanced Gap (support & resistance zone)

I have talked about gap on lesson 8 and also how to scan for intraday (premarket) gap with E*trade pro HERE. However, with swing trading I don’t really care about intraday gap but rather focus on daily or weekly gap (stronger than intraday).

A gap on a daily chart where there is no trading activity between 2 consecutive trading days is what I called a true gap. From my experience, a true gap is absolutely powerful and it is what institutional traders pay attention to when they initiate a trade. Below is an example of a true gap:
A gap, as Japanese traders call it “window”, can act as support/resistance level on a chart. However, we can tell if some gaps are stronger than others by its location on the chart and volume.  There are many types of gaps which you can learn more HERE. The fact is you don’t even have to know all of them to trade effectively. Only thing you need to remember is “gap up becomes support area and gap down becomes resistance area”. Take a look at gap up and gap down on DVAX chart below:
When we have a gap (up or down) the whole gap becomes support/resistance zone. With gap up, the whole gap becomes support zone with major support level on the lower line. And vice versa for the gap down, the whole gap becomes resistance zone with major resistance level on the upper line. So what I like to do when I see gap on a chart is draw 2 lines (like DVAX chart above), then I know if I have support/resistance level near my entry or not.  Many traders don’t really pay attention to this (even a 2cents gap still can be resistance/support level), so they would buy just below the gap and have a stock turns on them the next couple of days. What I like to do when I have a good setup but a gap is just above my entry, I would wait for the gap to fill and break on daily chart and try to get in the next day. 

Sometimes you will see a stock stalling for a few days right at the gap. This is the time when the market is in indecision mode and you (beginner) shouldn’t be trying to guess which way it’s going to go (although there are ways to predict breakouts which I will go over in another lesson). Your job here is to watch the price action and go with the momentum; either go long on a breakout or short on a breakdown with stop loss in place. 

Normally a high volume gap should be stronger than a low volume one, giving that the chart is not too overextended. A high volume gap that occurs on an overextended chart can indicate a buying/selling climax which results in change of trend (instead of continuation). So it is very important to look for both volume and location of the gap before placing a trade. Also note that some stocks might have a lot of gaps on the chart (once every few days); in that case you can/should ignore the gaps.

If you have any questions, please leave your comment below or contact me directly by email.